6/8/07

Welcome "Mr. Michael"

June 8, 2007

My 26 hour plane ride yielded time to research my new temporary home. With the following information, I considered myself fully knowledgeable on the Thai culture:

* Bangkok is actually short for: Krung-dēvamahānagara amararatanakosindra mahindrayudhyā mahātilakabhava navaratanarājadhānī purīrāmasya utamarājanivēsana mahāsthāna amaravimāna avatārasthitya shakrasdattiya vishnukarmaprasiddhi..... but if you just say “Bangkok” they’ll know what you’re talking about. (wikipedia)

* Never point with your toe

* Never touch anyone’s head

* Don’t talk to “lady-boys”

I also learned that Bangkok is not known for its glamorous lifestyle. My original plan was to go from the airport to our factory, which I was told has a “bedroom.” Rather than rushing into things, I figured I’d stay in a hotel for a night or two.

My only English-speaking employee, Chinunna, picked me up from the airport. She greeted me with a “hello Mr. Michael” and a bow. I’d pay 1,000 Baht ($29) to see my half-assed first attempt at a return-bow.

Chinunna dropped me off at the Holiday Inn – Silom, which is actually a pretty posh hotel. I’ve stayed at a Holiday Inn or two and this one was bad ass. It actually spoiled me considering I moved into a Bangkok warehouse the next day.


Hotel Bedroom















Current Bedroom















Hotel Dining













.

Current Dining















Old View













.
Current View

3 comments:

Dre said...

OMG - I LOVE your updates! You are too funny!! I can't even believe (well, of course I can) that you had to come back to Boston for your plane tix! You really do need an intern!! Hope you're enjoying your time overseas - what a difference in your hotel room to your current room, looks like some places you've probably stayed in Jersey!! Miss the hell out of you here in the office, but look forward to seeing you soon!!

Brittney said...

Sounds like you have a very exciting next couple of months planned!!! Hopefully you have a great time overseas and meet a lot of fun and interesting people!

Ben said...

Hilarious. And I am proud to have made it in as the angry Texan. I remember that picture. No really I do, I swear.