6/1/07

May or May Not Regret This

6-1-07

Ok, so I'm sitting at work one day and trying to assess my life: I have a good job... I don't get paid a ton, but I have a sick office on the 35th floor in the Financial District of Boston and coworkers that may as well be family. I have great friends and never have a problem finding a drinking buddy on weekends... and the summer is finally here. All in all, I have a pretty solid situation. My apartment sucks ass and lately girls have been flaky as hell, but I really have nothing to complain about.


SICK OFFICE










.

GREAT FRIENDS





.
.
.
.

FLAKY BROADS











So anyway, things are easy, too easy. I feel like I need to do something big. A year ago my pops and I started a company; importing & exporting, like George Costanza. We deal in diamonds, Moissanite, precious metals, gemstones, investment gold, and jewelry related tools. We started off getting some tools in Singapore, gemstones from India, testers from China, some shit from Turkey, and stuff from other places. Then, on a trip to Thailand, my pops acquires a small group to do all of our manufacturing of finished jewelry pieces. We lease a five-story building in downtown Bangkok and start peddling our jewelry worldwide.... 10,000 rings to Ecuador, 15,000 assorted pieces to the CZ, a decent order to the States, etc. Our people are really good at what they do. You can give them any item; ring, necklace, bracelet, pendant, and they can reproduce it to a T. You can even draw them a picture and next thing you know you have the real thing in your hand. Shit, you can close your eyes and think of a set of earrings and when you open them, there's my little Thai people holding your new set of earrings.


Unfortunately, it seems that Thai schools consist primarily of arts and crafts curriculum, rather than say economics, business administration, basic addition and subtraction... because we're sending tens of thousands of pieces of jewelry across the globe for a year and we're still in the red. A-Diamond Bangkok is in need of a serious restructuring.



Pops convinces me to go check out the situation first hand. I quit my job and book a flight to Bangkok. My mission: Assess the situation. Consolodate all financial records and forecast future earnings / expenses. Figure out how to make the situation work or determine whether we pull the rip-cord on A-Diamond Bangkok.

After quitting my job, the realization of my free-agent status sinks in, and I decide to expand on my June travels and make this "The Summer of Jirout." Plans as of yet include the following:





No comments: